Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Finding a purpose

A life changing decision:


When people ask what I do I often have to think about what hat I am currently wearing.  Sounds familiar I am sure. My answer....I am a REALTOR by day, a Mom by night and SERVANT to the greatest Man ever known, Jesus Christ.

In 2008 my life changed.  For the first time as an adult I felt broken.  In fact, I was broken.  I had 2 small children, a successful career an abundance of awesome friends and family, but something was missing.   Over the next few years I dug deep and continued working to be more successful in Real Estate.  God was good and continued to bless my career.  But still there was a void. I just could not put my finger on what it was.

Matara Burundi Africa Our Batwa friend's

Video from my trip to AFRICA

In January 2010 my church announced their annual Mission Trip to Burundi Africa.  I remember this day like yesterday. It felt as if God pulled me from my seat and told me to go.  I signed up that day.  I was going across the world to Burundi with 24 people I did not know.

This trip changed my life forever. Being the ...labeled..."enabler" that I can be I initially thought I was being called to "fix" these people....to bless them.  But what happened is they blessed me.  They taught me about unfailing love, faith and trust that God is good.  I can still hear their voices signing as we entered the village.  Please take a moment and watch the video above. Their faces are forever inscribed on my heart.


LaCarpio Costa Rica & Coronado

In 2011 I was called to Costa Rica.  We first visited La Carpio.  La Carpio is one of the poorest areas with high crime rate in Costa Rica.  The people we met were all so very kind.  We spent our first few days in Medical Clinics.  Many of the people we saw were sick with parasites because of unsanitary water & open sewage.  

We then visited the orphanage Community Of Faith owns in Coronado.  It is a beautiful place where the children live in a family style homes.  There are married parents who live in the homes with the children.

  

From Coronado we went to an indigenous village.  Our van was unable to make it through the dirt road, so we hiked in about 2 miles.  Upon finding the village we set up our medical clinic; as well as, helped to build a well.  When the well was done we showed them how to filter the water.  By doing this it will cut down on the parasites and infections they have faced.  Again another very rewarding trip.

2012 in Haiti

In April of 2012 I was called to Haiti.   Upon arriving into Port Au Price it is evident that Haiti has far from recovered the Earthquakes of 2010.  It is estimated that over 230,000 persons lost their lives due to the Earthquakes of 2010.  At this time many structures have been left in their damaged state. There are still thousands of Haitians living in tent cities. Some of the biggest problems facing Haiti is the lack of food and clean water.  It is my understanding the hurricane of 2012 has set Haiti back yet again.




Of all the memories I took from my week in Haiti one thing lingers on my mind.  Pastor Raymond told us that until the people of Haiti change their hearts and minds, no amount of money will make a difference.  This was really hard to digest but after much thought I believe it to be true.  The Haitian people seem to have lost hope and faith.  They have seen so much devastation that they do not see a bright future.  With that in mind, my prayer for Haiti is that God will bless them and restore their faith.  That he will give them hope and show them that they can make a difference for their future.

Where I am today:

I have learned through my journey that my Purpose is to Serve.  I serve on global missions around the world; as well as, local missions around Houston, TX.  I have learned the more I give....even when I feel I have nothing left that God replenishes with abundance.  

This year I will be taking 2 mission trips to Honduras.  I will be taking my daughter on her first trip this summer.  I am so excited for her to witness why I do what I do.  I can say it has not always been easy for my kids to understand my travels abroad...but soon I hope it all makes perfect sense.  


Interesting that a crossroad of being broken would bring so much joy.


Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven







No comments:

Post a Comment